Definitions of guard:
- noun: a position on a basketball team
- noun: a position on the line of scrimmage
Example: "Guards must be good blockers"
- noun: a device designed to prevent injury
- noun: a posture of defence in boxing or fencing
Example: "Keep your guard up"
- noun: a group of men who escort and protect some important person
- noun: the person who plays that position on a football team
Example: "The left guard was injured on the play"
- noun: a person who keeps watch over something or someone
- noun: the person who plays the position of guard on a basketball team
- noun: the duty of serving as a sentry
Example: "He was on guard that night"
- noun: a precautionary measure warding off impending danger or damage or injury etc.
Example: "An insurance policy is a good safeguard"
- verb: to keep watch over
Example: "There would be men guarding the horses"
- verb: take precautions in order to avoid some unwanted consequence
Example: "Guard against becoming too friendly with the staff"
- verb: watch over or shield from danger or harm; protect
Example: "Guard my possessions while I'm away"
- verb: protect against a challenge or attack
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #14892)
Search for guard at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse