Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of ground:
- noun: (art) the surface (as a wall or canvas) prepared to take the paint for a painting
- noun: a connection between an electrical device and the earth (which is a zero voltage)
- noun: a relatively homogeneous percept extending back of the figure on which attention is focused
- noun: a position to be won or defended in battle (or as if in battle)
Example: "They gained ground step by step"
- noun: the first or preliminary coat of paint or size applied to a surface
- noun: the part of a scene (or picture) that lies behind objects in the foreground
Example: "He posed her against a background of rolling hills"
- noun: a rational motive for a belief or action
Example: "The grounds for their declaration"
- noun: material in the top layer of the surface of the earth in which plants can grow (especially with reference to its quality or use)
- noun: the loose soft material that makes up a large part of the land surface
- noun: a relation that provides the foundation for something
- noun: the solid part of the earth's surface
Example: "He dropped the logs on the ground"
- verb: instruct someone in the fundamentals of a subject
- verb: connect to a ground
Example: "Ground the electrical connections for safety reasons"
- verb: hit onto the ground
- verb: hit a groundball
Example: "He grounded to the second baseman"
- verb: throw to the ground in order to stop play and avoid being tackled behind the line of scrimmage
- verb: place or put on the ground
- verb: confine or restrict to the ground
Example: "After the accident, they grounded the plane and the pilot"
- verb: hit or reach the ground
- verb: bring to the ground
Example: "The storm grounded the ship"
- verb: fix firmly and stably
- verb: cover with a primer; apply a primer to
- verb: use as a basis for; found on
- adjective: broken or pounded into small fragments; used of e.g. ore or stone
Example: "Ground glass is used as an abrasive"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #33715)
Search for ground at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse