Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of gray:
- noun: horse of a light grey or whitish color
- noun: gray clothing
Example: "He was dressed in gray"
- noun: a neutral achromatic color midway between white and black
- noun: any organization or party whose uniforms or badges are gray
Example: "The Confederate army was a vast gray"
- noun: United States botanist who specialized in North American flora and who was an early supporter of Darwin's theories of evolution (1810-1888)
- noun: American navigator who twice circumnavigated the globe and who discovered the Columbia River (1755-1806)
- noun: English poet best known for his elegy written in a country church-yard (1716-1771)
- verb: turn gray
Example: "Her hair began to gray"
- verb: make gray
- adjective: used to signify the Confederate forces in the Civil War (who wore gray uniforms)
Example: "A stalwart gray figure"
- adjective: showing characteristics of age, especially having gray or white hair
- adjective: an achromatic color of any lightness between the extremes of black and white
Example: "Gray flannel suit"
- adjective: intermediate in character or position
Example: "A gray area between clearly legal and strictly illegal"
- adjective: darkened with overcast
Example: "A gray rainy afternoon"
- name: A surname (very common: 1 in 943 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #69)
Search for gray at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Follow us on Twitter. You probably won't regret it.
There'll be a new contest in a few months.
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse