Announcing the RhymeZone Poetry Prize. Deadline is February 1!
Read and comment on a recent entry: Answers
Definitions of gentle:
- verb: stroke soothingly
- verb: give a title to someone; make someone a member of the nobility
- verb: cause to be more favorably inclined; gain the good will of
- adjective: having or showing a kindly or tender nature
Example: "The gentle touch of her hand"
- adjective: quiet and soothing
Example: "A gentle voice"
- adjective: soft and mild; not harsh or stern or severe
Example: "A gentle reprimand"
- adjective: having little impact
Example: "Gentle rain"
- adjective: easily handled or managed
Example: "A gentle old horse, docile and obedient"
- adjective: marked by moderate steepness
Example: "A gentle slope"
- adjective: belonging to or characteristic of the nobility or aristocracy
Example: "Of gentle blood"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #10354)
Search for gentle at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
Copyright © 2015 Datamuse