Definitions of gay:
- noun: someone who practices homosexuality; having a sexual attraction to persons of the same sex
- adjective: homosexual or arousing homosexual desires
- adjective: given to social pleasures often including dissipation
Example: "Led a gay Bohemian life"
- adjective: full of or showing high-spirited merriment
Example: "When hearts were young and gay"
- adjective: offering fun and gaiety
Example: "Gay and exciting night life"
- adjective: bright and pleasant; promoting a feeling of cheer
Example: "A gay sunny room"
- adjective: brightly colored and showy
Example: "A dress a bit too gay for her years"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 6666 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #774)
- name: A female given name (rare: 1 in 8333 females; popularity rank in the U.S.: #795)
Search for gay at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia