Announcing the RhymeZone Poetry Prize. Deadline is February 1!
Read and comment on a recent entry: Home-Wrecker
Definitions of gauge:
- noun: a measuring instrument for measuring and indicating a quantity such as the thickness of wire or the amount of rain etc.
- noun: the thickness of wire
- noun: the distance between the rails of a railway or between the wheels of a train
- noun: accepted or approved instance or example of a quantity or quality against which others are judged or measured or compared
- noun: diameter of a tube or gun barrel
- verb: mix in specific proportions
Example: "Gauge plaster"
- verb: adapt to a specified measurement
Example: "Gauge the instruments"
- verb: measure precisely and against a standard
Example: "The wire is gauged"
- verb: determine the capacity, volume, or contents of by measurement and calculation
Example: "Gauge the wine barrels"
- verb: rub to a uniform size
Example: "Gauge bricks"
- verb: judge tentatively or form an estimate of (quantities or time)
Search for gauge at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
Copyright © 2015 Datamuse