Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of gain:
- noun: the amount by which the revenue of a business exceeds its cost of operating
- noun: the amount of increase in signal power or voltage or current expressed as the ratio of output to input
- noun: the advantageous quality of being beneficial
- noun: a quantity that is added
Example: "They recorded the cattle's gain in weight over a period of weeks"
- verb: earn on some commercial or business transaction; earn as salary or wages
- verb: increase (one's body weight)
Example: "She gained 20 pounds when she stopped exercising"
- verb: obtain advantages, such as points, etc.
Example: "The home team was gaining ground"
- verb: increase in
Example: "Gain momentum"
- verb: derive a benefit from
- verb: obtain
- verb: rise in rate or price
Example: "The stock market gained 24 points today"
- verb: win something through one's efforts
Example: "Gain an understanding of international finance"
- verb: reach a destination, either real or abstract
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #12628)
Search for gain at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse