Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of gag:
- noun: restraint put into a person's mouth to prevent speaking or shouting
- noun: a humorous anecdote or remark intended to provoke laughter
Example: "He knows a million gags"
- verb: prevent from speaking out
Example: "The press was gagged"
- verb: make an unsuccessful effort to vomit; strain to vomit
- verb: cause to retch or choke
- verb: struggle for breath; have insufficient oxygen intake
Example: "He swallowed a fishbone and gagged"
- verb: make jokes or quips
Example: "The students were gagging during dinner"
- verb: tie a gag around someone's mouth in order to silence them
Example: "The burglars gagged the home owner and tied him to a chair"
- verb: be too tight; rub or press
Search for gag at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...