Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of fret:
- noun: a small bar of metal across the fingerboard of a musical instrument; when the string is stopped by a finger at the metal bar it will produce a note of the desired pitch
- noun: an ornamental pattern consisting of repeated vertical and horizonal lines (often in relief)
Example: "There was a simple fret at the top of the walls"
- noun: agitation resulting from active worry
- noun: a spot that has been worn away by abrasion or erosion
- verb: provide (a musical instrument) with frets
Example: "Fret a guitar"
- verb: wear away or erode
- verb: decorate with an interlaced design
- verb: carve a pattern into
- verb: be agitated or irritated
Example: "Don't fret over these small details"
- verb: cause annoyance in
- verb: gnaw into; make resentful or angry
- verb: become or make sore by or as if by rubbing
- verb: remove soil or rock
- verb: cause friction
- verb: be too tight; rub or press
- verb: worry unnecessarily or excessively
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #72826)
Search for fret at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2019 Datamuse