Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of free:
- noun: people who are free
Example: "The home of the free and the brave"
- verb: grant freedom to; free from confinement
- verb: free from obligations or duties
- verb: make (information) available publication
- verb: free or remove obstruction from
Example: "Free a path across the cluttered floor"
- verb: relieve from
- verb: remove or force out from a position
Example: "He finally could free the legs of the earthquake victim who was buried in the rubble"
- verb: grant relief or an exemption from a rule or requirement to
- verb: make (assets) available
- verb: let off the hook
- verb: part with a possession or right
- adjective: not occupied or in use
Example: "A free locker"
- adjective: not literal
Example: "A free translation of the poem"
- adjective: unconstrained or not chemically bound in a molecule or not fixed and capable of relatively unrestricted motion
Example: "Free expansion"
- adjective: able to act at will; not hampered; not under compulsion or restraint
Example: "Free enterprise"
- adjective: not held in servitude
Example: "After the Civil War he was a free man"
- adjective: not taken up by scheduled activities
Example: "A free hour between classes"
- adjective: not fixed in position
Example: "He pulled his arm free and ran"
- adjective: costing nothing
- adverb: without restraint
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 25000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #2951)
Search for free at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse