Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of form:
- noun: a mold for setting concrete
Example: "They built elaborate forms for pouring the foundation"
- noun: the visual appearance of something or someone
- noun: a particular mode in which something is manifested
Example: "His resentment took the form of extreme hostility"
- noun: an ability to perform well
Example: "He was at the top of his form"
- noun: a perceptual structure
Example: "The composition presents problems for students of musical form"
- noun: the phonological or orthographic sound or appearance of a word that can be used to describe or identify something
Example: "The inflected forms of a word can be represented by a stem and a list of inflections to be attached"
- noun: a printed document with spaces in which to write
Example: "He filled out his tax form"
- noun: an arrangement of the elements in a composition or discourse
Example: "The essay was in the form of a dialogue"
- noun: (biology) a group of organisms within a species that differ in trivial ways from similar groups
- noun: alternative names for the body of a human being
- noun: the spatial arrangement of something as distinct from its substance
- noun: any spatial attributes (especially as defined by outline)
- noun: a body of students who are taught together
- noun: (physical chemistry) a distinct state of matter in a system; matter that is identical in chemical composition and physical state and separated from other material by the phase boundary
- noun: a category of things distinguished by some common characteristic or quality
Example: "Sculpture is a form of art"
- noun: a life-size dummy used to display clothes
- verb: create (as an entity)
Example: "Social groups form everywhere"
- verb: to compose or represent:"This wall forms the background of the stage setting"
- verb: develop into a distinctive entity
- verb: give shape to
Example: "Form the clay into a head"
- verb: establish or impress firmly in the mind
- verb: give a shape or form to
- verb: make something, usually for a specific function
Example: "Form cylinders from the dough"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #51832)
Search for form at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...