Definitions of focus:
- noun: maximum clarity or distinctness of an image rendered by an optical system
Example: "In focus"
- noun: maximum clarity or distinctness of an idea
Example: "The controversy brought clearly into focus an important difference of opinion"
- noun: the concentration of attention or energy on something
Example: "The focus of activity shifted to molecular biology"
- noun: a fixed reference point on the concave side of a conic section
- noun: a point of convergence of light (or other radiation) or a point from which it diverges
- noun: a central point or locus of an infection in an organism
Example: "The focus of infection"
- noun: special emphasis attached to something
- verb: cause to converge on or toward a central point
Example: "Focus the light on this image"
- verb: put (an image) into focus
Example: "Please focus the image"
- verb: become focussed or come into focus
Example: "The light focused"
- verb: direct one's attention on something
Example: "Please focus on your studies and not on your hobbies"
- verb: bring into focus or alignment; to converge or cause to converge; of ideas or emotions
Search for focus at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
Copyright © 2015 Datamuse