Definitions of flood:
- noun: a large flow
- noun: the act of flooding; filling to overflowing
- noun: light that is a source of artificial illumination having a broad beam; used in photography
- noun: the inward flow of the tide
Example: "A tide in the affairs of men which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune -Shakespeare"
- noun: the rising of a body of water and its overflowing onto normally dry land
- noun: an overwhelming number or amount
Example: "A flood of requests"
- verb: cover with liquid, usually water
Example: "The swollen river flooded the village"
- verb: supply with an excess of
Example: "Flood the market with tennis shoes"
- verb: become filled to overflowing
Example: "Our basement flooded during the heavy rains"
- verb: fill quickly beyond capacity; as with a liquid
Example: "The images flooded his mind"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 16666 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #1997)
Search for flood at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Privacy, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2014 Datamuse