Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of float:
- noun: something that remains on the surface of a liquid
- noun: a hand tool with a flat face used for smoothing and finishing the surface of plaster or cement or stucco
- noun: an elaborate display mounted on a platform carried by a truck (or pulled by a truck) in a procession or parade
- noun: the number of shares outstanding and available for trading by the public
- noun: the time interval between the deposit of a check in a bank and its payment
- noun: a drink with ice cream floating in it
- verb: circulate or discuss tentatively; test the waters with
Example: "The Republicans are floating the idea of a tax reform"
- verb: convert from a fixed point notation to a floating point notation
Example: "Float data"
- verb: allow (currencies) to fluctuate
Example: "The government floated the ruble for a few months"
- verb: make the surface of level or smooth
Example: "Float the plaster"
- verb: put into the water
Example: "Float a ship"
- verb: move lightly, as if suspended
Example: "The dancer floated across the stage"
- verb: set afloat
Example: "He floated the logs down the river"
- verb: be in motion due to some air or water current
- verb: be afloat; stay on a liquid surface; not sink
Search for float at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse