Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of flash:
- noun: a lamp for providing momentary light to take a photograph
- noun: a bright patch of color used for decoration or identification
Example: "Red flashes adorned the airplane"
- noun: a momentary brightness
- noun: a sudden brilliant understanding
Example: "He had a flash of intuition"
- noun: a short vivid experience
Example: "A flash of emotion swept over him"
- noun: a sudden intense burst of radiant energy
- noun: a burst of light used to communicate or illuminate
- noun: a very short time (as the time it takes the eye blink or the heart to beat)
Example: "If I had the chance I'd do it in a flash"
- noun: a short news announcement concerning some on-going news story
- verb: expose or show briefly
Example: "He flashed a $100 bill"
- verb: gleam or glow intermittently
Example: "The lights were flashing"
- verb: appear briefly
Example: "The headlines flashed on the screen"
- verb: emit a brief burst of light
Example: "A shooting star flashed and was gone"
- verb: make known or cause to appear with great speed
Example: "The latest intelligence is flashed to all command posts"
- verb: protect by covering with a thin sheet of metal
Example: "Flash the roof"
- verb: display proudly; act ostentatiously or pretentiously
- verb: run or move very quickly or hastily
- adjective: tastelessly showy
Example: "A flash car"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #40755)
Search for flash at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse