Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of flare:
- noun: (baseball) a fly ball hit a short distance into the outfield
- noun: a device that produces a bright light for warning or illumination or identification
- noun: a burst of light used to communicate or illuminate
- noun: a sudden outburst of emotion
Example: "She felt a flare of delight"
- noun: am unwanted reflection in an optical system (or the fogging of an image that is caused by such a reflection)
- noun: a sudden burst of flame
- noun: a shape that spreads outward
Example: "The skirt had a wide flare"
- noun: a sudden recurrence or worsening of symptoms
Example: "A colitis flare"
- noun: reddening of the skin spreading outward from a focus of infection or irritation
- noun: a short forward pass to a back who is running toward the sidelines
Example: "He threw a flare to the fullback who was tackled for a loss"
- noun: a sudden eruption of intense high-energy radiation from the sun's surface; associated with sunspots and radio interference
- verb: burn brightly
Example: "Every star seemed to flare with new intensity"
- verb: shine with a sudden light
Example: "The night sky flared with the massive bombardment"
- verb: become flared and widen, usually at one end
Example: "The bellbottom pants flare out"
- verb: erupt or intensify suddenly
Example: "Tempers flared at the meeting"
Search for flare at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...