Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of fix:
- noun: an exemption granted after influence (e.g., money) is brought to bear
Example: "Collusion resulted in tax fixes for gamblers"
- noun: something craved, especially an intravenous injection of a narcotic drug
Example: "She needed a fix of chocolate"
- noun: informal terms for a difficult situation
Example: "He got into a terrible fix"
- noun: the act of putting something in working order again
- noun: a determination of the location of something
Example: "He got a good fix on the target"
- verb: make ready or suitable or equip in advance for a particular purpose or for some use, event, etc
Example: "I was fixing to leave town after I paid the hotel bill"
- verb: kill, preserve, and harden (tissue) in order to prepare for microscopic study
- verb: set or place definitely
Example: "Let's fix the date for the party!"
- verb: make fixed, stable or stationary
Example: "Let's fix the picture to the frame"
- verb: cause to be firmly attached
Example: "She fixed her gaze on the man"
- verb: put (something somewhere) firmly
Example: "Fix your eyes on this spot"
- verb: prepare for eating by applying heat
Example: "Fix breakfast for the guests, please"
- verb: restore by replacing a part or putting together what is torn or broken
- verb: decide upon or fix definitely
Example: "Fix the variables"
- verb: take vengeance on or get even
Example: "That'll fix him good!"
- verb: make infertile
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 50000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #5710)
Search for fix at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse