Definitions of first:
- noun: an honours degree of the highest class
- noun: the first element in a countable series
Example: "The first of the month"
- noun: the first or highest in an ordering or series
Example: "He wanted to be the first"
- noun: the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed at first base
- noun: the lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle; used to start a car moving
- noun: the time at which something is supposed to begin
- adjective: indicating the beginning unit in a series
- adjective: being the gear producing the lowest drive speed
Example: "Use first gear on steep hills"
- adjective: ranking above all others
Example: "Was first in her class"
- adjective: preceding all others in time or space or degree
Example: "The first house on the right"
- adjective: highest in pitch or chief among parts or voices or instruments or orchestra sections
Example: "First soprano"
- adjective: serving to begin
Example: "The first verse"
- adjective: serving to set in motion
Example: "His first (or maiden) speech in Congress"
- adverb: before anything else
Example: "First we must consider the garter snake"
- adverb: the initial time
Example: "When Felix first saw a garter snake"
- adverb: before another in time, space, or importance
Example: "I was here first"
- adverb: prominently forward
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #29015)
Search for first at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse