The couplet contest goes meta: This month's theme is procrastination
Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of finish:
- noun: the act of finishing
Example: "His best finish in a major tournament was third"
- noun: (wine tasting) the taste of a wine on the back of the tongue (as it is swallowed)
Example: "The wine has a nutty flavor and a pleasant finish"
- noun: the downfall of someone (as of persons on one side of a conflict)
Example: "Booze will be the finish of him"
- noun: designated event that concludes a contest (especially a race)
Example: "Excitement grew as the finish neared"
- noun: the place designated as the end (as of a race or journey)
Example: "A crowd assembled at the finish"
- noun: a decorative texture or appearance of a surface (or the substance that gives it that appearance)
Example: "The boat had a metallic finish"
- noun: event whose occurrence ends something
Example: "When these final episodes are broadcast it will be the finish of the show"
- noun: the temporal end; the concluding time
Example: "The market was up at the finish"
- noun: a highly developed state of perfection; having a flawless or impeccable quality
Example: "Almost an inspiration which gives to all work that finish which is almost art--Joseph Conrad"
- verb: cause to finish a relationship with somebody
Example: "That finished me with Mary"
- verb: provide with a finish
Example: "The carpenter finished the table beautifully"
- verb: come or bring to a finish or an end
Example: "He finished the dishes"
- verb: finish eating all the food on one's plate or on the table
- verb: have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical
- verb: finally be or do something
Search for finish at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse