Synonyms / Related
Definitions of fiddle:
- noun: bowed stringed instrument that is the highest member of the violin family; this instrument has four strings and a hollow body and an unfretted fingerboard and is played with a bow
- verb: commit fraud and steal from one's employer
- verb: avoid (one's assigned duties)
- verb: play on a violin
Example: "Zuckerman fiddled that song very nicely"
- verb: play the violin or fiddle
- verb: try to fix or mend
Example: "She always fiddles with her van on the weekend"
- verb: play around with or alter or falsify, usually secretively or dishonestly
Example: "The reporter fiddle with the facts"
- verb: manipulate manually or in one's mind or imagination
Example: "Don't fiddle with the screws"
Search for fiddle at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...