Definitions of fear:
- noun: an emotion experienced in anticipation of some specific pain or danger (usually accompanied by a desire to flee or fight)
- noun: a profound emotion inspired by a deity
Example: "The fear of God"
- noun: an anxious feeling
Example: "They hushed it up out of fear of public reaction"
- verb: be afraid or scared of; be frightened of
Example: "I fear the winters in Moscow"
- verb: be uneasy or apprehensive about
Example: "I fear the results of the final exams"
- verb: be sorry; used to introduce an unpleasant statement
Example: "I fear I won't make it to your wedding party"
- verb: be afraid or feel anxious or apprehensive about a possible or probable situation or event
Example: "I fear she might get aggressive"
- verb: regard with feelings of respect and reverence; consider hallowed or exalted or be in awe of
Example: "Fear God as your father"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #25619)
Search for fear at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Privacy, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse