Superhero couplet contest: Win $50 for you and a charity of your choice
Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of Father:
- noun: God when considered as the first person in the Trinity
Example: "Hear our prayers, Heavenly Father"
- noun: a male parent (also used as a term of address to your father)
Example: "His father was born in Atlanta"
- noun: `Father' is a term of address for priests in some churches (especially the Roman Catholic Church or the Orthodox Catholic Church); `Padre' is frequently used in the military
- noun: a person who holds an important or distinguished position in some organization
Example: "The tennis fathers ruled in her favor"
- noun: the head of an organized crime family
- noun: the founder of a family
Example: "Keep the faith of our forefathers"
- noun: (Christianity) any of about 70 theologians in the period from the 2nd to the 7th century whose writing established and confirmed official church doctrine; in the Roman Catholic Church some were later declared saints and became Doctor of the Church; the best known Lation Church Fathers are Ambrose, Augustine, Gregory the Great, and Jerome; those who wrote in Greek include Athanasius, Basil, Gregory Nazianzen, and John Chrysostom
- noun: a person who founds or establishes some institution
Example: "George Washington is the father of his country"
- verb: make children
Example: "Men often father children but don't recognize them"
Search for Father at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse