Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of fast:
- noun: abstaining from food
- verb: abstain from eating
Example: "Before the medical exam, you must fast"
- verb: abstain from certain foods, as for religious or medical reasons
Example: "Catholics sometimes fast during Lent"
- adjective: resistant to destruction or fading
Example: "Fast colors"
- adjective: (of surfaces) conducive to rapid speeds
Example: "A fast road"
- adjective: acting or moving or capable of acting or moving quickly
Example: "Fast film"
- adjective: at a rapid tempo
Example: "The band played a fast fox trot"
- adjective: (used of timepieces) indicating a time ahead of or later than the correct time
Example: "My watch is fast"
- adjective: securely fixed in place
- adjective: hurried and brief
Example: "A fast visit"
- adjective: firmly fastened or secured against opening
Example: "Windows and doors were all fast"
- adjective: unrestrained by convention or morality
Example: "Fast women"
- adverb: quickly or rapidly (often used as a combining form)
Example: "How fast can he get here?"
- adverb: firmly or tightly
Example: "Held fast to the rope"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 50000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #6550)
Search for fast at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse