Announcing the RhymeZone Poetry Prize. Deadline is February 1!
Read and comment on a recent entry: The Red Rose by Victor Flores
Definitions of faint:
- noun: a spontaneous loss of consciousness caused by insufficient blood to the brain
- verb: pass out from weakness, physical or emotional distress due to a loss of blood supply to the brain
- adjective: barely perceptible; lacking clarity or brightness or loudness etc
Example: "A faint outline"
- adjective: lacking strength or vigor
Example: "Damning with faint praise"
- adjective: weak and likely to lose consciousness
Example: "Suddenly felt faint from the pain"
- adjective: lacking conviction or boldness or courage
Example: "Faint heart ne'er won fair lady"
- adjective: indistinctly understood or felt or perceived
Example: "A faint clue to the origin of the mystery"
- adjective: lacking clarity or distinctness
Example: "Only a faint recollection"
Search for faint at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
Copyright © 2015 Datamuse