Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of extract:
- noun: a passage selected from a larger work
- noun: a solution obtained by steeping or soaking a substance (usually in water)
- verb: get despite difficulties or obstacles
Example: "I extracted a promise from the Dean for two ne positions"
- verb: calculate the root of a number
- verb: draw or pull out, usually with some force or effort; also used in an abstract sense
Example: "Extract a bad tooth"
- verb: separate (a metal) from an ore
- verb: extract by the process of distillation
- verb: take out of a literary work in order to cite or copy
- verb: obtain from a substance, as by mechanical action
- verb: deduce (a principle) or construe (a meaning)
Search for extract at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...