Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of extend:
- verb: make available; provide
Example: "Extend a loan"
- verb: reach outward in space
Example: "The awning extends several feet over the sidewalk"
- verb: prolong the time allowed for payment of
Example: "Extend the loan"
- verb: expand the influence of
Example: "The King extended his rule to the Eastern part of the continent"
- verb: open or straighten out; unbend
Example: "Can we extend the legs of this dining table?"
- verb: increase in quantity or bulk by adding a cheaper substance
Example: "Extend the casserole with a little rice"
- verb: continue or extend
Example: "The disease extended into the remote mountain provinces"
- verb: offer verbally
Example: "Extend my greetings"
- verb: span an interval of distance, space or time
Example: "The war extended over five years"
- verb: extend one's limbs or muscles, or the entire body
Example: "Extend your right arm above your head"
- verb: use to the utmost; exert vigorously or to full capacity
Example: "He really extended himself when he climbed Kilimanjaro"
- verb: cause to move at full gallop
- verb: lengthen in time; cause to be or last longer
Example: "She extended her visit by another day"
- verb: extend in scope or range or area
Example: "The law was extended to all citizens"
- verb: extend or stretch out to a greater or the full length
Example: "Extend the TV antenna"
- verb: thrust or extend out
Example: "Extend a hand"
- verb: stretch out over a distance, space, time, or scope; run or extend between two points or beyond a certain point
Example: "My memory extends back to my fourth year of life"
Search for extend at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse