Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of even:
- verb: make even or more even
- verb: become even or more even
Example: "Even out the surface"
- verb: make level or straight
- adjective: occurring at fixed intervals
Example: "The even rhythm of his breathing"
- adjective: symmetrically arranged
Example: "Even features"
- adjective: equal in degree or extent or amount; or equally matched or balanced
Example: "Even amounts of butter and sugar"
- adjective: being level or straight or regular and without variation as e.g. in shape or texture; or being in the same plane or at the same height as something else (i.e. even with)
Example: "An even application of varnish"
- adjective: divisible by two
- adjective: of the score in a contest
- adverb: used as an intensive especially to indicate something unexpected
Example: "Even an idiot knows that"
- adverb: to a greater degree or extent; used with comparisons
Example: "Looked sick and felt even worse"
- adverb: in spite of; notwithstanding
Example: "Even when he is sick, he works"
- adverb: to the full extent
Example: "Loyal even unto death"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #15851)
Search for even at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2019 Datamuse