Synonyms / Related
Definitions of encounter:
- noun: a casual meeting with a person of thing
- noun: a hostile disagreement face-to-face
- noun: a casual or unexpected convergence
Example: "There was a brief encounter in the hallway"
- noun: a minor short-term fight
- verb: be beset by
- verb: experience as a reaction
- verb: contend against an opponent in a sport, game, or battle
- verb: come together
- verb: come upon, as if by accident; meet with
Search for encounter at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...