Definitions of element:
- noun: the most favorable environment for a plant or animal
Example: "Water is the element of fishes"
- noun: a straight line that generates a cylinder or cone
- noun: the situation in which you are happiest and most effective
Example: "In your element"
- noun: one of four substances thought in ancient and medieval cosmology to constitute the physical universe
Example: "The alchemists believed that there were four elements"
- noun: any of the more than 100 known substances (of which 92 occur naturally) that cannot be separated into simpler substances and that singly or in combination constitute all matter
- noun: an artifact that is one of the individual parts of which a composite entity is made up; especially a part that can be separated from or attached to a system
Example: "A component or constituent element of a system"
- noun: an abstract part of something
Example: "The grammatical elements of a sentence"
Search for element at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Copyright © 2014 Datamuse