Definitions of drop:
- noun: the act of dropping something
Example: "They expected the drop would be successful"
- noun: a central depository where things can be left or picked up
- noun: a sudden sharp decrease in some quantity
Example: "A drop of 57 points on the Dow Jones index"
- noun: a free and rapid descent by the force of gravity
Example: "It was a miracle that he survived the drop from that height"
- noun: a predetermined hiding place for the deposit and distribution of illicit goods (such as drugs or stolen property)
- noun: a small quantity (especially of a liquid)
Example: "One drop of each sample was analyzed"
- noun: a shape that is small and round
Example: "He studied the shapes of low-viscosity drops"
- noun: a steep high face of rock
Example: "A steep drop"
- noun: a curtain that can be lowered and raised onto a stage from the flies; often used as background scenery
- verb: terminate an association with
Example: "Drop him from the Republican ticket"
- verb: stop pursuing or acting
Example: "Drop a lawsuit"
- verb: go down in value
Example: "Stock prices dropped"
- verb: change from one level to another
Example: "She dropped into army jargon"
- verb: give birth; used for animals
Example: "The cow dropped her calf this morning"
- verb: utter casually
Example: "Drop a hint"
- verb: lose (a game)
Example: "The Giants dropped 11 of their first 13"
- verb: leave or unload, especially of passengers or cargo;
- verb: to fall vertically
Example: "The bombs are dropping on enemy targets"
- verb: let fall to the ground
Example: "Don't drop the dishes"
- verb: lower the pitch of (musical notes)
- verb: cause to fall by or as if by delivering a blow
- verb: fall or drop to a lower place or level
- verb: pay out
- verb: hang freely
Example: "The light dropped from the ceiling"
- verb: grow worse
- verb: let or cause to fall in drops
- verb: stop associating with
Example: "They dropped her after she had a child out of wedlock"
- verb: leave undone or leave out
- verb: get rid of
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #57536)
Search for drop at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Privacy, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2014 Datamuse