Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of double:
- noun: a base hit on which the batter stops safely at second base
Example: "He hit a double to deep centerfield"
- noun: a quantity that is twice as great as another
Example: "36 is the double of 18"
- noun: someone who closely resembles a famous person (especially an actor)
Example: "He could be Gingrich's double"
- noun: a stand-in for movie stars to perform dangerous stunts
Example: "His first job in Hollywood was as a double for Clark Gable"
- noun: raising the stakes in a card game by a factor of 2
Example: "I decided his double was a bluff"
- verb: bridge: make a demand for (a card or suit)
- verb: increase twofold
Example: "The population doubled within 50 years"
- verb: hit a two-base hit
- verb: do double duty; serve two purposes or have two functions
Example: "She doubles as his wife and secretary"
- verb: bend over or curl up, usually with laughter or pain
Example: "He doubled and vomited violently"
- verb: make or do or perform again
- adjective: large enough for two
Example: "A double bed"
- adjective: twice as great or many
Example: "Ate a double portion"
- adjective: consisting of or involving two parts or components usually in pairs
Example: "An egg with a double yolk"
- adjective: having more than one decidedly dissimilar aspects or qualities
Example: "A double (or dual) role for an actor"
- adjective: used of flowers having more than the usual number of petals in crowded or overlapping arrangements
Example: "Double chrysanthemums have many rows of petals and are usually spherical or hemispherical"
- adjective: having two meanings with intent to deceive
Example: "A sly double meaning"
- adjective: used of homologous chromosomes associated in pairs in synapsis
- adverb: two together
Example: "Some people sleep better double"
- adverb: downward and forward
Example: "He was bent double with pain"
- adverb: to double the degree
Example: "His eyes were double bright"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #27774)
Search for double at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse