Superhero couplet contest: Win $50 for you and a charity of your choice
Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of dock:
- noun: the solid bony part of the tail of an animal as distinguished from the hair
- noun: landing in a harbor next to a pier where ships are loaded and unloaded or repaired; may have gates to let water in or out
Example: "The ship arrived at the dock more than a day late"
- noun: an enclosure in a court of law where the defendant sits during the trial
- noun: a platform where trucks or trains can be loaded or unloaded
- noun: any of certain coarse weedy plants with long taproots, sometimes used as table greens or in folk medicine
- noun: a short or shortened tail of certain animals
- noun: a platform built out from the shore into the water and supported by piles; provides access to ships and boats
- verb: come into dock
Example: "The ship docked"
- verb: deduct from someone's wages
- verb: deprive someone of benefits, as a penalty
- verb: haul into a dock
Example: "Dock the ships"
- verb: remove or shorten the tail of an animal
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #15536)
Search for dock at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse