Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of dissolve:
- noun: (film) a gradual transition from one scene to the next; the next scene is gradually superimposed as the former scene fades out
- verb: declare void
Example: "The President dissolved the parliament and called for new elections"
- verb: come to an end
Example: "Their marriage dissolved"
- verb: bring the association of to an end or cause to break up
Example: "The decree officially dissolved the marriage"
- verb: become or cause to become soft or liquid
Example: "The giant iceberg dissolved over the years during the global warming phase"
- verb: pass into a solution
Example: "The sugar quickly dissolved in the coffee"
- verb: cause to go into a solution
Example: "The recipe says that we should dissolve a cup of sugar in two cups of water"
- verb: become weaker
- verb: cause to fade away
Example: "Dissolve a shot or a picture"
- verb: lose control emotionally
Example: "She dissolved into tears when she heard that she had lost all her savings in the pyramid scheme"
- verb: cause to lose control emotionally
Example: "The news dissolved her into tears"
- verb: stop functioning or cohering as a unit
Example: "The political wing of the party dissolved after much internal fighting"
Search for dissolve at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse