Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of dip:
- noun: a gymnastic exercise on the parallel bars in which the body is lowered and raised by bending and straightening the arms
- noun: a brief swim in water
- noun: a candle that is made by repeated dipping in a pool of wax or tallow
- noun: a brief immersion
- noun: tasty mixture or liquid into which bite-sized foods are dipped
- noun: (physics) the angle that a magnetic needle makes with the plane of the horizon
- noun: a depression in an otherwise level surface
Example: "There was a dip in the road"
- noun: a sudden sharp decrease in some quantity
Example: "A dip in prices"
- noun: a thief who steals from the pockets or purses of others in public places
- verb: slope downwards
Example: "Our property dips towards the river"
- verb: appear to move downward
Example: "The sun dipped below the horizon"
- verb: lower briefly
Example: "She dipped her knee"
- verb: stain an object by immersing it in a liquid
- verb: go down momentarily
Example: "Prices dipped"
- verb: scoop up by plunging one's hand or a ladle below the surface
Example: "Dip water out of a container"
- verb: immerse in a disinfectant solution
Example: "Dip the sheep"
- verb: of candles; by dipping the wick into hot, liquid wax
- verb: dip into a liquid
Example: "He dipped into the pool"
- verb: switch (a car's headlights) from a higher to a lower beam
- verb: dip into a liquid while eating
- verb: immerse briefly into a liquid so as to wet, coat, or saturate
Example: "Dip the garment into the cleaning solution"
Search for dip at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse