Definitions of delay:
- noun: the act of delaying; inactivity resulting in something being put off until a later time
- noun: time during which some action is awaited
Example: "Instant replay caused too long a delay"
- verb: act later than planned, scheduled, or required
Example: "Don't delay your application to graduate school or else it won't be considered"
- verb: cause to be slowed down or delayed
Example: "Traffic was delayed by the bad weather"
- verb: slow the growth or development of
- verb: stop or halt
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #10104)
Search for delay at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse