Definitions of deal:
- noun: the act of apportioning or distributing something
Example: "The captain was entrusted with the deal of provisions"
- noun: the act of distributing playing cards
Example: "The deal was passed around the table clockwise"
- noun: a particular instance of buying or selling
Example: "It was a package deal"
- noun: the type of treatment received (especially as the result of an agreement)
Example: "He got a good deal on his car"
- noun: a plank of softwood (fir or pine board)
- noun: an agreement between parties (usually arrived at after discussion) fixing obligations of each
Example: "He rose to prominence through a series of shady deals"
- noun: the cards held in a card game by a given player at any given time
- noun: (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent
Example: "A deal of trouble"
- noun: wood that is easy to saw (from conifers such as pine or fir)
- verb: do business; offer for sale as for one's livelihood
Example: "She deals in gold"
- verb: sell
Example: "Deal hashish"
- verb: distribute to the players in a game
Example: "Who's dealing?"
- verb: give (a specific card) to a player
Example: "He dealt me the Queen of Spades"
- verb: take action with respect to (someone or something)
Example: "How are we going to deal with this problem?"
- verb: behave in a certain way towards others
Example: "He deals fairly with his employees"
- verb: be in charge of, act on, or dispose of
Example: "I can deal with this crew of workers"
- verb: direct the course of; manage or control
- verb: take into consideration for exemplifying purposes
- verb: administer or bestow, as in small portions
Example: "Deal a blow to someone"
- verb: give out as one's portion or share
- verb: deal with verbally or in some form of artistic expression
Example: "This book deals with incest"
- verb: come to terms or deal successfully with
- adjective: made of fir or pine
Example: "A plain deal table"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 11111 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #1434)
Search for deal at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse