Definitions of cup:
- noun: a small open container usually used for drinking; usually has a handle
Example: "He put the cup back in the saucer"
- noun: a large metal vessel with two handles that is awarded as a trophy to the winner of a competition
Example: "The school kept the cups is a special glass case"
- noun: the hole (or metal container in the hole) on a golf green
Example: "He swore as the ball rimmed the cup and rolled away"
- noun: a punch served in a pitcher instead of a punch bowl
- noun: cup-shaped plant organ
- noun: a United States liquid unit equal to 8 fluid ounces
- noun: the quantity a cup will hold
Example: "He drank a cup of coffee"
- noun: any cup-shaped concavity
Example: "Bees filled the waxen cups with honey"
- verb: form into the shape of a cup
Example: "She cupped her hands"
- verb: treat by applying evacuated cups to the patient's skin
- verb: put into a cup
Example: "Cup the milk"
Search for cup at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse