Definitions of cross:
- noun: a cross as an emblem of Christianity; used in heraldry
- noun: a wooden structure consisting of an upright post with a transverse piece
- noun: any affliction that causes great suffering
Example: "That is his cross to bear"
- noun: marking consisting of crossing lines
- noun: an organism that is the offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock; especially offspring produced by breeding plants or animals of different varieties or breeds or species
Example: "A mule is a cross between a horse and a donkey"
- noun: (genetics) the act of mixing different species or varieties of animals or plants and thus to produce hybrids
- verb: to cover or extend over an area or time period
- verb: trace a line through or across
Example: "Cross your `t'"
- verb: meet and pass
Example: "The trains crossed"
- verb: fold so as to resemble a cross
Example: "She crossed her legs"
- verb: breed animals or plants using parents of different races and varieties
Example: "Cross a horse and a donkey"
- verb: meet at a point
- verb: travel across or pass over
- verb: hinder or prevent (the efforts, plans, or desires) of
- adjective: perversely irritable
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 3225 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #349)
Search for cross at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse