Definitions of court:
- noun: respectful deference
Example: "Pay court to the emperor"
- noun: a yard wholly or partly surrounded by walls or buildings
Example: "The house was built around an inner court"
- noun: a specially marked area within which a game is played
Example: "Players had to reserve a court in advance"
- noun: a room in which a law court sits
Example: "Television cameras were admitted in the courtroom"
- noun: the residence of a sovereign or nobleman
Example: "The king will visit the duke's court"
- noun: the sovereign and his advisers who are the governing power of a state
- noun: the family and retinue of a sovereign or prince
- noun: an assembly (including one or more judges) to conduct judicial business
- noun: Australian woman tennis player who won many major championships (born in 1947)
- noun: a hotel for motorists; provides direct access from rooms to parking area
- verb: engage in social activities leading to marriage
Example: "We were courting for over ten years"
- verb: make amorous advances towards
Example: "John is courting Mary"
- verb: seek someone's favor
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #15551)
Search for court at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse