Definitions of counter:
- noun: table consisting of a horizontal surface over which business is transacted
- noun: a calculator that keeps a record of the number of times something happens
- noun: a piece of leather forming the back of a shoe
- noun: game equipment used in various card or board games
- noun: the piece of leather that fits the heel
- noun: (computer science) a register whose contents go through a regular series of states (usually states indicating consecutive integers)
- noun: a person who counts things
- noun: a piece of furniture that stands at the side of a dining room; has shelves and drawers
- noun: a return punch (especially by a boxer)
- noun: a quick reply to a question or remark (especially a witty or critical one)
- verb: speak in response
Example: "He countered with some very persuasive arguments"
- verb: act in advance of; deal with ahead of time
- adjective: indicating opposition or resistance
- adverb: in the opposite direction
Example: "Run counter"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #24796)
Search for counter at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...