Definitions of contrary:
- noun: two propositions are contraries if both cannot be true but both can be false
- noun: exact opposition
Example: "Public opinion to the contrary he is not guilty"
- noun: a relation of direct opposition
- adjective: resistant to guidance or discipline
Example: "Mary Mary quite contrary"
- adjective: very opposed in nature or character or purpose
Example: "Acts contrary to our code of ethics"
- adjective: of words or propositions so related that both cannot be true but both may be false
Example: "`hot' and `cold' are contrary terms"
- adjective: in an opposing direction
Example: "A contrary wind"
Search for contrary at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse