Definitions of compound:
- noun: an enclosure of residences and other building (especially in the Orient)
- noun: a whole formed by a union of two or more elements or parts
- noun: (chemistry) a substance formed by chemical union of two or more elements or ingredients in definite proportion by weight
- verb: calculate principal and interest
- verb: combine so as to form a whole; mix
Example: "Compound the ingredients"
- verb: create by mixing or combining
- verb: put or add together
- verb: make more intense, stronger, or more marked
- adjective: of leaf shapes; of leaves composed of several similar parts or lobes
- adjective: consisting of two or more substances or ingredients or elements or parts
Example: "Soap is a compound substance"
- adjective: composed of many distinct individuals united to form a whole or colony
Search for compound at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
Announcing the 2014-2015 RhymeZone Poetry Prize. Deadline is February 1!
Copyright © 2014 Datamuse