Synonyms / Related
Definitions of collar:
- noun: a figurative restraint
Example: "Asked for a collar on program trading in the stock market"
- noun: a band that fits around the neck and is usually folded over
- noun: a band of leather or rope that is placed around an animal's neck as a harness or to identify it
- noun: necklace that fits tightly around a woman's neck
- noun: the act of apprehending (especially apprehending a criminal)
Example: "The policeman on the beat got credit for the collar"
- verb: take into custody
- verb: furnish with a collar
Example: "Collar the dog"
- verb: seize by the neck or collar
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #14371)
Search for collar at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...