Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of clear:
- noun: the state of being free of suspicion
Example: "Investigation showed that he was in the clear"
- noun: a clear or unobstructed space or expanse of land or water
- verb: pass an inspection or receive authorization
Example: "Clear customs"
- verb: pass by, over, or under without making contact
Example: "The balloon cleared the tree tops"
- verb: go away or disappear
Example: "The fog cleared in the afternoon"
- verb: sell
Example: "We cleared a lot of the old model cars"
- verb: be debited and credited to the proper bank accounts
Example: "The check will clear within 2 business days"
- verb: clear from impurities, blemishes, pollution, etc.
Example: "Clear the water before it can be drunk"
- verb: free from payment of customs duties, as of a shipment
Example: "Clear the ship and let it dock"
- verb: remove the occupants of
Example: "Clear the building"
- verb: remove (people) from a building
Example: "Clear the patrons from the theater after the bomb threat"
- verb: rid of instructions or data
Example: "Clear a memory buffer"
- verb: make clear, bright, light, or translucent
Example: "The water had to be cleared through filtering"
- verb: make free from confusion or ambiguity; make clear
Example: "Clear up the question of who is at fault"
- verb: settle, as of a debt
Example: "Clear a debt"
- verb: free (the throat) by making a rasping sound
Example: "Clear the throat"
- verb: remove
Example: "Clear the leaves from the lawn"
- verb: make a way or path by removing objects
Example: "Clear a path through the dense forest"
- verb: yield as a net profit
- verb: go unchallenged; be approved
Example: "The bill cleared the House"
- verb: become clear
Example: "The sky cleared after the storm"
- verb: rid of obstructions
Example: "Clear your desk"
- verb: earn on some commercial or business transaction; earn as salary or wages
Example: "He clears $5,000 each month"
- verb: pronounce not guilty of criminal charges
Example: "The suspect was cleared of the murder charges"
- verb: make as a net profit
Example: "The company cleared $1 million"
- verb: grant authorization or clearance for
Example: "Clear the manuscript for publication"
- adjective: easily deciphered
- adjective: clear of charges or deductions
Example: "A clear profit"
- adjective: affording free passage or view
Example: "A clear view"
- adjective: free from flaw or blemish or impurity
Example: "A clear perfect diamond"
- adjective: characterized by freedom from troubling thoughts (especially guilt)
Example: "A clear conscience"
- adjective: of complexion; without such blemishes as e.g. acne
Example: "The clear complexion of a healthy young woman"
- adjective: clear to the mind
Example: "A clear and present danger"
- adjective: free from cloudiness; allowing light to pass through
Example: "Clear water"
- adjective: free from confusion or doubt
Example: "A complex problem requiring a clear head"
- adjective: free from clouds or mist or haze
Example: "On a clear day"
- adjective: characterized by ease and quickness in perceiving
Example: "Clear mind"
- adjective: clear and distinct to the senses; easily perceptible
Example: "As clear as a whistle"
- adjective: (especially of a title) free from any encumberance or limitation that presents a question of fact or law
Example: "I have clear title to this property"
- adjective: freed from any question of guilt
Example: "Was now clear of the charge of cowardice"
- adjective: (of sound or color) free from anything that dulls or dims
Example: "Clear laughter like a waterfall"
- adjective: free of restrictions or qualifications
Example: "A clear winner"
- adjective: accurately stated or described
- adverb: completely
Example: "Read the book clear to the end"
- adverb: in an easily perceptible manner
Example: "Could be seen clearly under the microscope"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #15232)
Search for clear at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse