Definitions of choke:
- noun: a valve that controls the flow of air into the carburetor of a gasoline engine
- noun: a coil of low resistance and high inductance used in electrical circuits to pass direct current and attenuate alternating current
- verb: check or slow down the action or effect of
Example: "She choked her anger"
- verb: fail to perform adequately due to tension or agitation
Example: "The team should have won hands down but choked, disappointing the coach and the audience"
- verb: breathe with great difficulty, as when experiencing a strong emotion
Example: "She choked with emotion when she spoke about her deceased husband"
- verb: constrict (someone's) throat and keep from breathing
- verb: be too tight; rub or press
- verb: wring the neck of
Example: "The man choked his opponent"
- verb: reduce the air supply
Example: "Choke a carburetor"
- verb: suppress the development, creativity, or imagination of
- verb: become stultified, suppressed, or stifled
- verb: cause to retch or choke
- verb: struggle for breath; have insufficient oxygen intake
- verb: impair the respiration of or obstruct the air passage of
- verb: become or cause to become obstructed
- verb: die
Search for choke at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse