Synonyms / Related
Definitions of chair:
- noun: a seat for one person, with a support for the back
Example: "He put his coat over the back of the chair and sat down"
- noun: the position of professor
Example: "He was awarded an endowed chair in economics"
- noun: an instrument of execution by electrocution; resembles a chair
Example: "The murderer was sentenced to die in the chair"
- noun: the officer who presides at the meetings of an organization
Example: "Address your remarks to the chairperson"
- verb: act or preside as chair, as of an academic department in a university
Example: "She chaired the department for many years"
- verb: preside over
Search for chair at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...