Definitions of chafe:
- noun: soreness and warmth caused by friction
Example: "He had a nasty chafe on his knee"
- noun: anger produced by some annoying irritation
- verb: become or make sore by or as if by rubbing
- verb: warm by rubbing, as with the hands
- verb: tear or wear off the skin or make sore by abrading
Example: "This leash chafes the dog's neck"
- verb: feel extreme irritation or anger
- verb: cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations
- verb: cause friction
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #86879)
Search for chafe at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse