Announcing the winners of the RhymeZone Poetry Prize!
Definitions of case:
- noun: a portable container for carrying several objects
Example: "The musicians left their instrument cases backstage"
- noun: a glass container used to store and display items in a shop or museum or home
- noun: bed linen consisting of a cover for a pillow
Example: "The burglar carried his loot in a pillowcase"
- noun: the actual state of things
Example: "That was not the case"
- noun: nouns or pronouns or adjectives (often marked by inflection) related in some way to other words in a sentence
- noun: a statement of facts and reasons used to support an argument
Example: "He stated his case clearly"
- noun: a problem requiring investigation
Example: "Perry Mason solved the case of the missing heir"
- noun: an occurrence of something
Example: "It was a case of bad judgment"
- noun: a person requiring professional services
Example: "A typical case was the suburban housewife described by a marriage counselor"
- noun: the quantity contained in a case
- noun: a specific state of mind that is temporary
Example: "A case of the jitters"
- noun: the enclosing frame around a door or window opening
- noun: the housing or outer covering of something
Example: "The clock has a walnut case"
- noun: an enveloping structure or covering enclosing an animal or plant organ or part
- noun: a person who is subjected to experimental or other observational procedures; someone who is an object of investigation
Example: "The cases that we studied were drawn from two different communities"
- noun: a special set of circumstances
Example: "It may rain in which case the picnic will be canceled"
- noun: a comprehensive term for any proceeding in a court of law whereby an individual seeks a legal remedy
- noun: a person of a specified kind (usually with many eccentricities)
Example: "A mental case"
- verb: look over, usually with the intention to rob
Example: "They men cased the housed"
- verb: enclose in, or as if in, a case
Example: "My feet were encased in mud"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 6666 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #813)
Search for case at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
Copyright © 2015 Datamuse