Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of capture:
- noun: the act of forcibly dispossessing an owner of property
- noun: the removal of an opponent's piece from the chess board
- noun: the act of taking of a person by force
- noun: any process in which an atomic or nuclear system acquires an additional particle
- noun: a process whereby a star or planet holds an object in its gravitational field
- verb: bring about the capture of an elementary particle or celestial body and causing it enter a new orbit
Example: "This nucleus has captured the slow-moving neutrons"
- verb: capture as if by hunting, snaring, or trapping
- verb: succeed in representing or expressing something intangible
Example: "Capture the essence of Spring"
- verb: attract; cause to be enamored
Example: "She captured all the men's hearts"
- verb: take possession of by force, as after an invasion
Example: "The militia captured the castle"
- verb: succeed in catching or seizing, especially after a chase
Search for capture at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...