Try out Spruce, our experimental quotations search engine.
Definitions of capacity:
- noun: a specified function
Example: "He was employed in the capacity of director"
- noun: the maximum production possible
Example: "The plant is working at 80 per cent capacity"
- noun: tolerance for alcohol
Example: "He had drunk beyond his capacity"
- noun: ability to perform or produce
- noun: the power to learn or retain knowledge; in law, the ability to understand the facts and significance of your behavior
- noun: (computer science) the amount of information (in bytes) that can be stored on a disk drive
Example: "The capacity of a hard disk drive is usually expressed in megabytes"
- noun: the amount that can be contained
Example: "The gas tank has a capacity of 12 gallons"
- noun: the susceptibility of something to a particular treatment
- noun: an electrical phenomenon whereby an electric charge is stored
Search for capacity at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse